Translate

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Calling it

Before we properly begin this entry, can we just take a moment and reflect on how crazy as balls the new season of ANTM is? Seriously - what the fuck is happening there.

There, I feel better now.

I mentioned having to describe my definition of "straight people" in a previous entry.
This weekend I happened to be in close encounters with a few of them, so it reminded me I still had to come over and tell you guys.

When I say "straight people" it's sort of a general indicator that something about a person is annoying me. I don't mean it in the exactly definition-based sense where I believe the person is heterosexual. I call one of my friends and her wife straight people. It has more to do with a person being a "should" type - somebody who follows the standard universal script. It has to do with expectations in relationships, and the way that they can be rigidly defined and followed, even if the people involved in the relationship dislike it. It's the idea that if your significant other so much as looks at another person, there must be something wrong with you or with the relationship. The idea that getting married somehow certifies or changes a relationship into something more authentic. Even the annoyingly simple things like the idea that men and women are completely different species. You mean to say that women and men might have similar ideas about something? Say whaaat that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.


An easy indicator is this "in an alternate universe" comic.

 
Get it? Women don't like to have sex and men just want to fuck constantly? Right? Right? *jabs you with an elbow* If you, in any sincere way, laughed at the above comic and thought something along the lines of, "yeah, that's a different way of looking at things," you might be a straight person.

I'm not asking everybody to become these ultra-sex positive pansexual polyamorous individuals (let's hear it for that alliteration).



I'm not saying my life is ultra awesome and that everybody needs to make the relationship decisions I have. The only thing I'm asking is for people to consider the relationship decisions they're making and know why they are where they are. Be able to go beyond the standard line as their only justification as to why they're in the relationship they're in. Be about the other person (or people) specifically, not just a little one-liner like quoting advertising copy. Don't just read a copy of The Ethical Slut and then vomit up things about the "naturalness" of multiple love.


No comments:

Post a Comment