Translate

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Lady business

So, having finished 50 Shades (it was pretty meh, at least with Twilight I had some mislead hope that it might get better - with this one it was just so one note from the start I can't even bring myself to care about the next two), I have officially started Sex at Dawn. It's a book I've had in my "to read" pile for awhile, and have finally decided to actually just hammer down and read.

So far, I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it. I'm about 200 pages in, and the whole, "guess what people, monogamy might not be the best option for everyone" argument is something I certainly agree with. In fact, I might have a few other books in my personal library that make similar arguments. It might be a big part of why I originally decided to read Sex at Dawn. On the other hand, the writing style is sort of random sometimes. And this coming from somebody who has difficulty putting together coherent blog entries, let alone an entire non-fiction novel. Even the 64 pages that wound up being my Master's capstone I'm sure was not stellar as far as literature is concerned. But there are several times that I find myself having to read and reread sentences to try and figure out the actual point.

Despite some personal clarity issues, the only other major issue I have right now is I'm in a chapter where they're talking about "wife sharing" in other cultures. Which is an interesting concept if you frame it the way they do, which is in the sort of way where it's fun and consensual. There's a little part of me that has an issue with the idea of tribesmen offering up their wives to visitors for sex, or women participating in sexualized rituals with multiple men at the same time. In instances such as these, I tend to wonder how much actual consent of the woman is a part of the process, and how much it's, "you're an available sex object, go make yourself worthwhile." I don't think it's helpful to frame wife sharing as an entirely positive, cooperative activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment