Translate

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Learned behavior

This morning I went to Curves early (as in, 6:30 instead of 7:00), and therefore was the only one there besides the coach. When I pulled into the parking lot, there was a Penske truck there, and a guy standing near the back of the truck. (For those unfamiliar, Penske are moving vans/commercial trucks that you can rent.) None of the other businesses around Curves are open, but I don't think much about it. Maybe he's there for an early delivery thing.

As I begin my workout, the truck guy comes into Curves, asking about who has the Grand Am out in the parking lot. I say it's mine and then he informs me that my right rear tire is low on air. "I'd say about 8 pounds." The first thing that strikes me is that's an oddly specific amount of tire pressure to be quoting. The second thing is that I can see my car from the window, and the tire in question does not look particularly terrible. "That really makes me nervous, you driving on that," he says, and then heads out back to his truck. The coach and I check about 10 minutes later, and he is still out there, just sitting in his truck. After another 10 he finally pulls out of the parking lot. Nobody else came in this time, and no other shops opened, so what exactly the guy was doing there was anybody's guess.

Then the thought pops into my head that I'm usually very observant of my tire pressure (I had lots of issues with my previous car being super old and the tires deflating seemingly at whim), and that particular tire did not look low when I got in the car at home to drive to Curves. Which jumps immediately to, what if that guy purposefully let air out of my tire, and the whole "your tire is low on air" bit was his version of the "can you help me move this couch into my van" classic?

No comments:

Post a Comment