Translate

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

IUD

So it's been about a week since getting the ol' IUD. Here is my little list of pros and cons:

Pros:
  • Can have unprotected sex with hubby again. Hurrah.
  • Will last 10 years
  • 99.9% effective
  • There is both a hormonal and non-hormonal option, depending on what your circumstances may be. Both are as effective and last as long.
  • Cost (this is a tie-breaker with a con - depending on your insurance these can be freaking expensive. I wound up paying about $750 for mine (insurance did not cover). But if you think about it, if you even use it for 5 years that is only about $12 bucks a month, which is about what you'd pay for a box of condoms anyway.)
  • Short office visit (whole thing took about 15 minutes to do)
  • After first few days, fairly undetectable
Cons:
  • Pain. Perhaps this is different for women who have had children before. I don't know. This thing hurt like a motherfucker going in. (For those of you who need an anatomy lesson you can find it here.) My gynecologist explained it would hurt in 3 places - pushing the IUD past the cervix, and then pushing the "arms" into each fallopian tube. In my experience, the fallopian tubes were the worst part. I was told to take 3 ibuprofen both the night before and morning of, as well as a pill (inserted vaginally) that softened my cervix. Getting it past the cervix was mildly uncomfortable, kind of like a slight pinch. Getting the "arms" of the IUD into the fallopian tubes actually made my ass lift off the table and my lungs forget how to breathe; it hurt that much. Afterward, I cramped pretty bad for the next 3 days or so. Sort of like I had been punched in the stomach/had the stomach flu/was having the worst period of my life. All at the same time together.
  • Timing. You have to get this done while you are on your period. If you are squeamish at all about the visit from Aunt Flo, it can be awkward.
  • Heavier periods in general. I have been told this, haven't actually experienced it. I was on blood thinners for 6 months, and my periods were monstrous. So we'll see how they compare. Stay tuned for what I'm sure will be exciting updates about my menstrual cycle. (Joking.)

No comments:

Post a Comment