Translate

Monday, January 23, 2012

Reproductive choices

One of our cats is currently huddled in the corner of our living room, cone around her head and her eyes closed. Either still woozy from anesthesia or hoping that she can dream back her reproductive abilities. She got spayed earlier today, and will be in the cone for at least the next 5 days.

In the meantime, the billing department of my OBGYN office called about whether or not I would get any coverage for a non-hormonal IUD. Huge surprise, no. That'll be $750 dollars for the privilege of your choice to not have babies. I was on the pill for about 11 years, but got taken off due to medical complications. Was told to ixnay on the hormonal birth control, and have been using condoms in the interim until I could find a viable non-hormonal option. (Or, as my gynecologist likes to call condoms: "barrier method birth control." It's like talking to somebody who insists on saying "tissue" instead of "Kleenex.") Condoms are less effective than an IUD, though, and do decrease spontaneity of the ol' sexytimes quite a bit. Plus, if I'm being honest with myself, there's a large part of me that misses being able to feel a man ejaculate inside of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment